31090051

As a result of serious illness HMRC are attempting to petition

Customer Question

As a result of serious illness HMRC are attempting to petition me in bankruptcy i have sufficient assets to cover the alledged debt but am in the process of submitting returns to prove their estimated assessments to be well overstated .I do understand i can appeal to HMRC Commissioners because of serious illness hindering me in the submission of returns on time ,the stress of illness and now haveing to look after my 92 year old mother have put me into an untenable position the Revenue are aware of my position . I'm virtually in a position to submit all of details to prove their estimates as virtully penal in terms of amount
Can you suggest a reasonal approach to get this situatin set aside,i have not as yet received a formal notice but the HMRC have placed a charge on one of my freeholds pending notice.I need to nip this situation in the bud now.Will
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
The only way to deal with this to get the returns submitted immediately. You say you are virtually in a position to do so,so get them in. This will usually stay any bankruptcy proceedings but make sure your solicitor or accountant makes that agreement with them when the returns are put in. Until the returns are put in, in my experience, you are wasting your time speaking to them.