Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Bankruptcy, liquidations, administrations, pre pack sales, re use of company names and director duties and offences.
13113900

Hi Over the last few years Ive been buying DVDs (for resale)

Over the last few years I've been buying DVDs (for resale) from an associate near Peterborough. Over this time we've had transactions as high as £9000; I've paid by bank transfer and he's posted the stock to me - all fine until now.
I paid him just under £2000 a few weeks ago for an agreed amount of stock, then he came back to me and said there isn't any stock, and that he's gambled the money away - in the same message he admitted being a gambling addict and a declared bankrupt. I told him I wanted my money back, and would take him to court for it (I also mentioned the police, as this is premeditated theft). He said I could take him to court but he wouldn't have to pay because he's a bankrupt - can you advise me of my options?
John
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

I am afraid that if he has been made bankrupt then the matter is over. You cannot start court proceedings against a bankrupt.

You will have to contact the Official Receiver and see if there is any money in his estate that will be distributed to creditors.

I would also continue to pursue the matter with the police as this is potentially a fraud.

AJ