Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

I am looking for some further advice. I have had a bankruptcy

I am looking for some further advice. I have had a bankruptcy petition served against me and I need to appear in court on the 25th July. My concern is I believe they freeze your bank accounts? What is the process they follow and how do I access my wages etc to pay bills etc.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to the site. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question. If you are made bankrupt then and only then will your bank account become restricted in its use. You can still pay money into and use the money in it to pay your bills etc.. But the Official Receiver will want to check you have no surplus income. You may be asked to open a new bank account or be transferred to a different one which may not for instance allow you to have a cash card. In short you can still have a bank account, it won't be frozen but it will be restricted in some way by the bank.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Max. Is this done on the day? Or is there time to sort this? Also how quick do you see the receiver to sort the details out?

Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.
You usually arrange with the local court before hand via telephone a time to go in, have the forms checked and see a judge to obtain your bankruptcy. This will usually happen on the day but you have as long as you need to complete the forms and you decide when to call the court. You would normally see the OR maybe a week or so after being made bankrupt.