Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Hi, I was declared Bankrupt in 1995. The Official Receiver

Hi, I was declared Bankrupt in 1995. The Official Receiver told me at that time that my private pension policy could not be taken, but the trustee took the capital lump sum and is also taking the income payments. Is this correct?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi , it's no
Problem to wait , thank you
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to the site. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question. The Trustee was wrong when he told you that you private pension would not be touched when you were made bankrupt. The law pre May 2000 is I'm afraid clear. All rights under most pension policies which included private pensions (without a forfeiture clause) which were in existence at the date of the bankruptcy vested in their bankruptcy estate. This means the trustee could and can take the asset and use the funds realised for the benefit of creditors. All your rights which you had in respect of the pension at the date of bankruptcy would have vested in your trustee. The trustee is entitled to take payments which the pension/annuity pays out.
Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience: LLB, 10 years post qualification experience