Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Bankruptcy, liquidations, administrations, pre pack sales, re use of company names and director duties and offences.
13113900

I received notice from Northampton county court regarding

I received notice from Northampton county court regarding a debt which does not belong to me. I sent back a acknowledgement of service form. I contacted the original credit card company for details regarding this debt and they have no knowledge of me. I contacted the solicitors to ask for original paperwork on 2.7.14 they agreed to request this..... Nothing. I then sent formal requests to the debt company 9.7.14 for this information and received a reply that they would try to get this information to me within 40days. I need to put in a defence within the next 2days however I cannot give a proper defence without this information. What do I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. What I suggest you do is acknowledge receipt of the proceedings to extend the time period for filing a defence if you have not already done so. Write to the creditor and say to them that they have a case of mistaken identity.

Alex J. :

If they do not withdraw the proceedings immediately you will seek to apply to have their claim struck out under Civil Procedure Rule 3.4 and seek to hold them accountable for the cost of doing so. I would recommend that you get a local solicitor to write to them for you as they will probably be a bit quicker if they know you are being advised. Also you should be able to recover your costs of doing so from them. I look forward to hearing from you.

Alex J. :

Kind regards AJ

Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** write to their solicitor today and also enter this info on the defence form to the courts.
Alex J. :

HI, Thank you. Can you confirm, have you acknowledge receipt of the claim? Normally when you do this, it extends the period for filing a defence?