Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Hello, I've just been discharged from bankruptcy following

Hello, I've just been discharged from bankruptcy following a 2 year trustee investigation. I believe I'm subject to a 6 year BRU. My question is this; if at any time within the lifetime of the BRU I receive an inheritance firstly must I inform the trustee involved in my bankruptcy a can he then vest the inheritance assets?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to the site. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question. The purpose of a BRO or BRU is to extend the restrictions placed on you during bankrupty. However, with a BRO if you receive an inheritance after discharge, it is yours to keep. It is one of the few exceptions to the bankruptcy restrictions. The key is that the inheritance must be received after discharge.