Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Bankruptcy, liquidations, administrations, pre pack sales, re use of company names and director duties and offences.
13113900

I took out a loan abroad in 2009 and they are threatening

I took out a loan abroad in 2009 and they are threatening Interpol (even though I spoken to the bank concerned). I would like to know my rights please under UK law.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Unless you took the loan by fraudulent or dishonest means, not paying a loan back is not a criminal offence in the UK it is a civil matter.
The police in the UK will not arrest for this. What country did you take the loan out from?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon AJ.I took the loan (approx £22,000) from Bahrain in 2009. I paid until the UK Government told us to evacuate from the country due to civil unrest. I tried to negotiate in 2010 but heard nothing more until a few months ago from a collection agency in Qatar threatening me with Interpol and an international case against me. For £22,000 would it be worth an international bank banning me from every single country if I tried to leave the UK? Also, would it be worth going bankrupt fir this amount?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. They can only put an arrest notice in those countries that they actually have agreements with - I am not sure what this would be for Bahrain. That said it does seem excessive to involve Interpol for just £22k, I doubt they have the funding or resources to pursue such a case. Which bank is it that is pursuing you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is HSBC however on the Middle East, most of these international banks are 'franchises' and not owned by the main bank itself. Of course, if I was to fly back to the GCC, there could be a travel ban against me but if a case is filed, and if they apply an international case, can I be prevented from leaving the UK to other say European countries?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
You cannot be prevented from leaving the UK because of a debt.
I would recommend that before travelling to any country that has any form of cooperation agreement with Bahrain police you check first if such agreement will apply to you.
I would also just check with in Interpol whether there is even an arrest warrant in your name. Given they have threatened you with arrest, this is a minor precaution to take considering that you risk be hauled back to Bahrain.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So there is maybe a chance, if Interpol have an international arrest warrant against me, just say, if there is no extradition process with Bahrain, I could still be jailed in that country?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
You wont face imprisonment in an EU country for a debt in Bahrain. At worst you would be extradited to Bahrain, but I am not aware of any EU country that actually extradites people for a civil debt.
I would just keep an eye out on whether there is actually an arrest warrant in your name. It seems highly unlikely Interpol have the resources to issue an arrest warrant against someone for a £22k debt.
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been very kind AJ. Thank you. May I ask if I was the consider bankruptcy in the UK regardless, what the finalisation time (ie how many years) that I can notify any company that asks that I am not a bankrupt anymore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As in if I am a discharged bankrupt, how long is it after that I do not have to notify anyone or company that I have been bankrupted?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. No problem.
As a rule of thumb I would say six years. However if you are asked on an application "have you ever been made bankrupt" - it really depends what the nature of the application as to whether you answer this question or not. Your bankruptcy status will drop off your credit report after six years, so if you said no to this question in a mortgage application, likelihood is the lender will never find out. If it is for some other check, i.e a professional body check then you may want to consider being as honest as possible.
AJ
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Bankruptcy, liquidations, administrations, pre pack sales, re use of company names and director duties and offences.