Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

My husband of 49 years, died in November he made a Will

Customer Question

My husband of 49 years, died in November he made a Will leaving £1,000 to each of our 3 grandchildren.
The rest House and shattles to me. For the last 20 years of his life I was the Sole earner, apart from Mikes Pension. Mike retired through Ill health, I carried on working to 67.
I have been told that I because he did'nt sign the Will, I am only entittled to £250,000.
The remainder to be shared. I get an interest in half the remainder, the other half will go to our only child of 44 Mikes son.
Is this correct?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HIThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWere none of the assets held in joint names?How much is the house worth and what other assets are there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE HOUSE IS WORTH £400,000, THE HOUSE WAS IN MY HUSBANDS NAME, I SIGNED IT OVER TO HIM 1985. THERE ARE NO HOME ASSETS THE CAR WE HAD, I TRADED FOR A SMALL AUTOMATIC. I WAS UNABLE TO ***** AS MY ARTHRITIS HAS BECOME TO PAINFUL TO GET THE HANDBRAKE OFF. I TRADED WITH A GARAGE AND PAID £2,500 THEY ADVISED THE GALAXY WAS WORTH £6,000. I HAD BEEN TOLD BY A SOLICTOR I COULD DO THIS. REGARDS MARY
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are you on good terms with your son?