Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Back in 2009 I had a business fail and had a personal

Customer Question

Back in 2009 I had a business fail and had a personal guarantee on some on the leased equipment. I came to an agreement with the lease company to pay £500 a month which was fine until recently this wasn't possible. The company unfortunately wouldn't accept this and served statutory demands and will file for bankruptcy if I don't clear the debt by tomorrow.
The debt is currently as £6200. Am I right in understanding that someone can only petition for bankruptcy if the debt is over £5000? Im now in a position to clear the 4 months arrears and continue as we were so this will reduce the debt to £4200 and then pay my usual £500. I hope this makes sense.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Yes. If you can get the debt reduced to below £5000 - they can NOT make you bankrupt.

So make sure its paid and the figure reduced.

Then they cant make you go bankrupt.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response.I had an email from them last month saying that the debt was £4900 but then all of a sudden the statutory demands came out and it was risen to £6200! If I reduce below the £5000 mark and then maybe get a solicitor to look at all the costs etc? The problem is whenever it is reduced below £5000 they then try and put on huge fees for whatever and take it over the £5000 mark

Yes indeed. I would make it to £4500 then argue on costs.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.