Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

i have a african grey parrot that has a really bad weasy chest

Customer Question

i have a african grey parrot that has a really bad weasy chest he developed yesterday he cant talk properly and sounds like hes having trouble breathing any suggestions what could be
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

This sounds like you have a respiratory infection developing in your bird which is common but problematic. It is very important that as soon as you can have Oscar see his vet. If we wait too long for this we risk the problem becoming a permanent infection through scarring or especially a fungal infection which is dangerous and unfortunately common in Grey's. You can try a couple of things in the meantime. 1) Make sure his living temperature is 80F. 2) Put him in a bathroom 2x daily with a hot shower running so he can breath in the steam but make sure his feathers do not get soaked. #3 You can help boost his immune system with the product Healx Booster found here: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/Booster/products/50/

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan