Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my goose is acting very strangely , he walks but rolls back

Customer Question

my goose is acting very strangely , he walks but rolls back as if he is drunk. he is 4 years old and appears a bit confused. he has a lump in his crop which has been there for ages which has not troubled him before, its solid like a stone/ egg or maybe a small apple ( he lives in the orchard) today he could not co-ordinate to get out of the pond. his feet seem ok, although they were hot to the touch and a bit pink, but seemed to give him no pain on touch / manipulation. he is very very tame and just wants to sit down and seems conserned about walking / moving about .. any ideas thanks for your help
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing is likely vertigo! This is due to the nerve being irritated that deals with balance. This irritation can be due to stroke, trauma, virus, bacteria, or no obvious reason. Dizzy birds will act drunk like you are seeing (called torticollis) and have trouble with their balance. What you need to do right now is to bring the food and water close to him as. It is best to have him seen by the vet to check for an ear infection. If there is one it can be treated, if not then usually time will pass and as long as he's eating and drinking this usually resolves on it's own.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks I have checked his ears, both are clear light pink with no dischard or obvious obstruction. he is today cleaning himself non stop but still takes a couple of steps and then rolls over again. he seems quite happy but rather confused.

his legs seem ok one is a bit hot still ( he has been penned up overnight since the question was posted and has slept for app 6 hours) the lump in his crop is still present and he seems a bit "horse" but i think this maybe because his crop has been poked about. his head is high and he is eating and drinking.. his poo is still watery and lacks fibre.. otherwise normal ( normal for kevin the goose) is it worth giving him some charcoal/ molasses?

I am concerned that what I see is one condition but also a mix of a few other bits and pieces that too that may or maynot be relevent.

many thanks wendy ( norfolk uk)

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
At this point it is not really worthwhile to give charcoal or molasses. The main thing is to keep normal feed and water going to support him until he recovers.

As for the ear infection an inner ear infection is deep within the skull and will not have any obvious outward symptoms without special instruments.

If you feel the "crop" poked out does it feel like bone, if it does it fits with the twisted neck of a normally dizzy bird.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks I could not access the pc yesterdau the internet was playing up.

the lump in the crop is clearly an item in it which is either an egg/ stone / plum or small apple.

you can move it arround in the crop but for the most part it sits there to the side when he eats and fills his grop it is less obvious. he does not seem to be effected by it and has not lost weight or reduced his eating.

he is still eating/ drinking and falling over, the wobble seems to get worse as the day goes on and he gets tired.

many thansk for your help wendy

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
If there is an object in the crop you can slowly and carefully try and milk it up and out of his mouth.

Dr. Dan