Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

We have a male budgie about 3 years old. he is a very friendly

Customer Question

We have a male budgie about 3 years old.
he is a very friendly budgie but over the last few days all he wants to do is sit under
your chin. He doesn't normally let you easily pick him up but now when he is nestled up to you he just lets you pick him up.
My husband has had a close look at his beak and he thinks there may be a crack in it and he doesn't seem to be eating his millet although he will eat soft tomatoes but he definitely isn't being as greedy as he usually is. if it is a crack in his beak how could he of done it or could it be an infection like people get in their nails.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your little friend is under the weather.

If the beak were cracked there are several methods of repair that are possible. Sometimes nothing at all needs to be done, sometimes a light epoxy or sealer can be used and sometimes the beak needs to be wired. However depending on the split... there is likely some way to correct the problem.

If an infection gets into the crack it is very important that it be eradicated quickly. If caught early then it can be taken care of with just medications, if it is advanced or aggressive then the beak will need to be surgically cleaned and then medication started. I do think there are plenty of options for repair and after the infection is addressed or the split is stabilized then it will feel better and Jack will start eating better.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have managed to have a look at the beak myself now and it's not a crack more like a splitting at the tip of the top beak in layers. He may have always had it and we have only noticed now because he is under the weather. he is sat under my chin now and he just let me pick him up and take him out of the cage.

Last night I gave him some chit chat which he loved and had no problem eating it, also cucumber and tomatoe. He just won't stop nesting up to us and when he is in his cage he is just sleeping and he has never been like this before.

He is not shedding any feathers which they normally do at this time of year don't they?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
With birds in captivity they don't always moult at certain times of the year like wild birds do. Birds that spend less than 8 hours a day outside have widely varied moult times. So absence of feather loss at this point is not necessarily a problem.

Dr. Dan