Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

seems to be sleeping more, picking feathers more , eating ok,

Customer Question

seems to be sleeping more, picking feathers more , eating ok, droppings are normal.

Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Whenever a bird is acting other than normal in anyway including fluffed up, sitting on the bottom of the cage, lethargic (sleeping too much or low energy), has watery stool,
decreased eating, feather picking, or not preening it means they are sick, very sick. In this case she fits the feather picking and lethargy symptoms, the remainder of the symptoms may not show up. Unfortunately, for all of us it does not specify any certain disease in fact it can be many diseases but it does signal that they feel terrible. The bad thing about this is the same symptoms can be a minor cold or serious life threatening illness egg binding, liver disease, skin infection, or heart disease among other problems. The best thing you can do is keep your Snowie's environment warm (over 80F) and see your vet ASAP. If your Snowie stops eating then you need to go today/tonight on emergency. If you can't make it to the vet the only thing OTC that can have any benefit is AVIx booster, the instructions are on the label. http://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/OMEGA-3-BOOSTER/productinfo/O3BOOSTER/

The best thing is the vet ASAP otherwise try the supplement. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan