Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

our budgie has become listless/lethargic with fluffed up feathers

our budgie has become listless/lethargic with fluffed up feathers still eating and drinking
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Whenever a bird is acting other than normal in anyway including fluffed up, sitting on the bottom of the cage, lethargic (sleeping too much or low energy), has watery stool,
decreased eating, or not preening it means they are sick, very sick. In this case he fits the the symptoms of lethargy and not chirping, the other symptoms I mentioned could still be coming. Unfortunately for all of us it does not specify any certain disease in fact it can be many diseases but it does signal that they feel terrible. The bad thing about this is the same symptoms can be a minor cold or serious life threatening illness egg binding, liver disease, or heart disease among other problems. The best thing you can do is keep your bird's environment warm (over 80F) and see your vet ASAP. If your bird stops eating then you need to go today/tonight on emergency. If you need help finding an avian vet use this website: If you can't make it to the vet the only thing OTC that can have any benefit is AVIx booster, the instructions are on the label. http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-9558-healx-booster-120ml.aspx

The best thing is the vet ASAP otherwise try the supplement. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice,will take to my vet