Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My lovebird is around 18 years old and he is losing control

My lovebird is around 18 years old and he is losing control of his neck muscles,is this old age or something else.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is his neck causing his head to tilt to one specific side or is his neck twisted around?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His neck is twisted around but he always tries to face forward again,he can feed and drink facing forward but seems to have little control in keeping his head where he wants it.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information. What you are describing is indeed vertigo! This is due to the nerve being irritated that deals with balance. This irritation can be due to stroke, trauma, virus, bacteria, or no obvious reason. Dizzy birds twist their head and neck like you are seeing (called torticollis) and may have trouble with their balance. What you need to do right now is to take all the perches out of the cage and put a thick towel and even cloth nest in the bottom of the cage. Bring the food and water down to him as well. Have him seen by the vet in the morning to check for an ear infection. If there is one it can be treated, if not then usually time will pass and as long as he's eating this usually resolves on it's own given enough time.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.