DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with an interest in exotics.
47051559

my mothers cockatiel has watery motions is there something

Customer Question

my mothers cockatiel has watery motions is there something she can give him?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my mother is worried about her bird and just wants to know if there is something she can give him as she is having to change the sand sheets in his cage every day as they are so wet.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information about Tommy. I will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Hello there, I'm Dr Ralston.

I understand that Tommy has very watery droppings.

Excessively watery droppings contain an excessive amount of urine actually. This is how the bird excretes urine and feces, in the droppings. The condition is called polyuria.

It is normal to have watery droppings if birds become overstressed or if ingesting too much water in their diet. Diets high in fruit actually are more likely to cause this condition. This is especially true if your mother has been feeding a lot of fruit. If there are too many fruits and vegetables in the diet, back down on these for a day or two and see if it helps to resolve the problem.

Usually, this type of stress might produce polyuria for maybe a day or two.

More than this and it can be a sign of diabetes, kidney disease, or infections.

If it has been going on for longer than 2 days, you really need to seek out an avian Vet to diagnose this and treat it.

A blood test and fecal test will be necessary.

If the dropping are watery and green this is more consistent with a digestive disorder, parasites and is more serious!