Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Hi, we have an 18 month old Quaker parrot Rio (we are not sure

Customer Question

Hi, we have an 18 month old Quaker parrot Rio (we are not sure of the sex but call him he) he plucked out every small feather he could reach following an accident about 8 weeks ago, he got tangled up overnight in the tassels of a rope toy they were tight round his neck when we uncovered him & we had to cut him free which frightened him a lot. His cage floor was a carpet of tiny feathers the day after the incident & he stopped talking. This all co-coincided with my 19 year old daughter going away for 3 weeks, he loves her company she plays with him a lot. He was quite raw looking for a while with no feathers on his legs, chest or back. He picks at his feet a lot too I've noticed?

After posting photos & asking advice on a Quaker parrot forum we've been giving him more attention (so much it is making me weary almost), new toys to chew on, more varied diet with plenty of protein for feather growth. He can come out whenever he wants its not like he's shut in his cage all day, I am at home all day with him. He is covered 10hrs at night in a quiet room with no distractions.

This last week he seemed to have turned a corner, he seemed a lot happier, making his usual noises again & his feathers were growing back nicely on his back & chest but he's pulled them all out again in the past 2 days & is virtually bald. We are back to square one. I did use an anti-pecking spray once or twice so perhaps this has made things worse? He won't bathe much lately & doesn't like to be misted it seems to frighten him & makes the plucking worse. He has taken to sitting on the dogs basket today & ripping the wicker to pieces so I'm letting him do this, anything to stop him plucking!

All I want is for him to have feathers & be a happy parrot like he was before. It doesn't look like he has any infected skin We don't have specialised avian vets where I live in rural Ireland. Any advise you can offer me would be much appreciated. Thanks Julie
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please Shantal I would be grateful if you could continue to search for a vet with specific knowledge of birds especially parrots as this is quite a specific question relating to a particular breed. Thank you Julie

Hello Julie,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Julie,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shantal I would prefer if you closed the question now as I have made an appointment with out local vet to try & resolve the issues with my parrot.

I presume I receive a refund of the €15 I have paid via Paypal if I cancel the question?

Thanks Julie

Hello Julie,

I am sorry we were unable to assist you. As requested I will close your question and reverse your charges.

Thank you for using JustAnswer UK,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shantal I have only received a refund of €1

I paid €15 via Paypal & understood that this would only be charged should I be satisfied with the answer I was given by the expert. Seeing as I didn't receive a satisfactory answer from an Expert (as you couldn't find one for my question) why have I not had the full €15 refund?

I paid €1 as a donation to an expert in relation to another question I asked in Law as part of my 1 week free trial. Has there been confusion over which payment to refund?

Regards Julie

Hello Julie,

I am going to refer this question to customer services for them to look into it for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shantal

Further to my previous message can customer services contact me urgently today regarding my refund. I did try contacting them directly using the contact form but my message was returned to me as undelivered mail??

If I don't hear from them today I will be approaching Paypal for a refund seeing as Just Answer could not find an expert to answer my question & have paid €15 for nothing basically.

Thanks Julie Kendall