Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi, Our 4 year old cockatiel who we discovered is actually

Customer Question

Hi, Our 4 year old cockatiel who we discovered is actually a girl after she laid 2 clutches of eggs this year, has lost a lot of feathers and is either sneezing or sicking up what looks like undigested millet spray. Think there was some liquid around her eyes too.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing is in fact vomiting. This is a very serious problem in any bird but especially a bird that has recently been laying eggs. Vomiting can occur due to an unrelated intestinal problem a stuck egg, low calcium due to the egg laying and many other problems. Vomiting in birds never can be ignored. Usually she'll need a vet to discover the cause of the vomiting and make sure there are not egg related problems if not then usually antibiotics will take the problem. In the meantime you can add 1 tablespoon of apples cider vinegar to 1 gallon of drinking water. However, do not rely on this to fix the problem, she needs to see the vet as soon as you can arrange it.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan