Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Hi, We have a cattle egret that wont eat. It cant fly too..

Hi, We have a cattle egret that wont eat. It can't fly too.. But it opens its wings well.. Maybe has some neck problem? How should I encourage it to eat? I doubt if he has newcastle diease or fowl cholera because of his ataxia.. His claws are not wroking plus his excreta is all watery. Is glucose water reccomended? Your help would be urgently appreciated.

Kind regards.
E.Perry
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello E. Perry,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Shantal,

I am willing to wait for the right infomation. Sadly the Cattle Egret collapsed whilst waiting for your response, but i would very much like to know how to care/feed for sick cattle egrets in the future. I am asking on behalf of a wildlife volunteer in India.

Hope very much that you can help.

Eleanor

Hello Eleanor,

I am sorry to hear that the Cattle Egret collapsed. As requested I will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 3 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you. I have worked with many wildlife species, cattle egrets amongst them. Is this bird in India?

The situation you describe can be caused from quite literally anything. Can you give many any more details at all?

Just a short list:

Trauma from predators, pets, people

hit by car

pesticides/crop applications

pesticides applied to the cattle on which they perch or feed with

possible exposure to excessive NSAIDS given to cattle (Diflenoc poisoning caused all those vulture deaths AND untold small animal bird deaths as well, birds are very easily killed by this compound)

They can suffer from many neurotropic viral diseases (such as West Nile, and there are a plethora of these in India

Other vector-carried diseases such as bacteria, protozoans, malaria etc etc

and if the bird was cared for by well-meaning but uninformed people, there is malnutrition and inappropriate treatment and housing to consider.

and so, so many more.

To answer this, a complete necropsy with tissue samples and blood tests would be necessary.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne I cannot really answer without some data. I do have contacts in India, would this person/organization be willing to communicate with me or with someone in India?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Paticia J. Latas DVM,MS, BS.

Thankyou very much for your comprehensive response.

I can confirm that the Cattle Egret was in India and found near Bhopal.

I would be very interested in knowing your contacts in India, incase further assistance is required. Further knowledge on feeding would be so very appreciated.

Eleanor. Perry.