Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Sons cockatiel aged about 23/24 years appears to be losing

Son's cockatiel aged about 23/24 years appears to be losing a few feathers on his back - not a lot and only noticeable in some positions he adopts. Any cause for concern?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing may not be abnormal but may just be a molt. Molting can look many different ways in the same bird. As long as there is not significant bald patches visible when the bird is at rest we don't need to be too worried. If however the feathers continue to fall out without replacement creating visible exposed skin while adopting any position even sitting still then we have a problem that needs to be checked by the vet.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan