Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My African grey had a bad asthma attack last night after nebulising

Customer Question

My African grey had a bad asthma attack last night after nebulising for about. Hour she seemed much better but today she seems to be very noisy from her head area likeshe has a head cold
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 3 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.

Are you sure this is asthma? That is very rare in birds, their lungs are much different and the do not really get the same thing as mammals do. Was this diagnosed by a vet, one with a LOT of bird experience?

Did the vet prescribe the nebulization? What are you using in the nebulizer?

It is much more likely that the bird has infection, bacterial, viral, fungal-- and any of these are life- threatening. He needs proper diagnostic work and appropriate treatment plan.

Even cardiovascular and heart disease in a bird can appear to be like asthma.

Foreign object that is lodged in the nostrils or choana can cause the same thing you are describing.

Have there been fumes, cooking, new heater, candles, perfumes, fireplace, insecticides, anything at all recently?

What part of the UK are you in?

Get back with me and I will try to be more specific.