Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have just asked the question - My budgie seems to have developed

Customer Question

I have just asked the question - My budgie seems to have developed a very tiny pale brown cyst just below his left eye. I first noticed it at Christmas-time. I could hardly see it but my son noticed it. He is a very active bird, very talkative and eats well. He doesn't seem anything other than well. Is it something which should worry me?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 3 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.

If the eye itself looks normal and the cornea is clear, then it is not an emergecy. So be on the safe side, it would be good to have a realy bird-experienced vet take a look and possibly stain the cornea to make sure there are no issues there.

A photo might help me be more specific.

Is this on the eyelid margin or immediately below the eye under the feathers? Bumps under the ey can be related to the periorbital sinuses, and can be filled with fluid, air, secretions, or infected material. It is also a spot where tumors can develop.

My basic philosophy is if a bump is not changeing or growing, and is not causing a problem, I do very little. That of course is after and exam and maybe a tiny needle sample to find out there is anything to really be concerned about.

What part of the UK are you in?