Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Hi I have a cute very old parquet she must be 9, my vet said

Customer Question

I have a cute very old parquet she must be 9, my vet said they can see for miles but I'm confident she can't maybe just her age ? She also is on special food a complete specialist food I rarely give her veg, the odd apple but she is doing great.
She has a habit now of chewing the bars all day she never used to, her beak looks fine and she is happy is this a sign of anything she never used to do it ?
She has the white (don't know how to explain it) to keep her beak trimmed but don't really like it.
Also she does not answer now wen I call her is this deafness ? But even if I go close she never answers. Finally how long do they live and if I have medical issues do I take her to a vet ? Or bird expert. Should she have any routine health checks and if needed by who thanx
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No rush thanx I can wait
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Judging from the behavior you've described, it sounds like your bird is suffering from stress. As you appear to suspect, diet may be the underlying issue in unusual behavior. You mentioned that you're feeding a "complete specialist food", do you know if it's a brand name, and is it seed-based or pellets?