Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Buck picked up and then went down hill again. I took him back

Buck picked up and then went down hill again. I took him back to the vet about three weeks ago. She gave him two injections and Baytril drops. Again he picked up, but again is going down hill. He is constantly in the sleep position, he was always flying around. The vet did notice he is going through a moult and it looks quite bad it is all around his head and eyes. When he comes to he is constantly scratching himself on anything that will give him friction, hence he does scratch himself at times. What can I do to help him?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Were any tests run by your vet? Any blood or xrays on the second trip back?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My vet has not run any tests, she did listen to him, front and back. She did say he had a noise in his lung on his back.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
I would say it is time to do one of two things. The first is to take an xray of the lungs if this is available and affordable. With infectious that cause raspy breathing but not responsive to antibiotics we immediately worry about a fungal infection instead of bacterial. An xray will often (but admittedly not always) find the evidence of a fungal infection. If evidence is found then the proper further testing and treatment can be started.

The other option is to change antibiotics to something like doxycycline and add an anti-fungal medication just in case.

I think changing treatments or even better a proper diagnosis is required at this point.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.