Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My male cocktails looks like he may have broken his leg. He

Customer Question

My male cocktails looks like he may have broken his leg. He is still eating but won't come down to me he is staying up high but very quiet is there anything I can do for him .
Regardsl
Janis
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that your bird is is not using his leg. There are two things you can do for him but unfortunately none of them are done from home. There are safe pain medications that can be obtained from your vet. The same vet can then feel the leg or xray the leg and determine if there is a fracture, a sprain or another common problem in older birds; a kidney problem that affects the nerve of the associated leg. This will help the most in getting your bird back to using it's leg comfortably.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan