Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi I have a 2 and a half year old African grey and over the

Hi I have a 2 and a half year old African grey and over the last 2 or 3 days he had been plucking out a lot of downy feathers. What could be causing this?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What is in the best interest of your feathery friend is you need to find a bird savvy vet to take your bird to. Make sure you ask if this vet has dealt with feather loss before. The reason you need the vet and I can't help you very much online is because there are literally a zillion reasons feather loss can begin. Some are medical conditions, some are hormonal conditions, some are nutritional conditions and some are behavioral conditions. A vet is needed to take a detailed history and examine your bird to even begin to find a place to start. I can tell you these cases take a lot of time, patience and understanding on your part. There is almost never a quick shot, pill or fix to take care of this. If you want to try things on your own first, a good place to start is by purchasing the following things Birds for Dummies© written by Brian Speer, DVM, and the DVD called Captive Foraging© by Scott Echols, DVM. Here is a free resource to give you an idea about feather damaging. http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/featherpic.pdf These items may get you a start but are much more effective if guided by a vet. I hope this helps, best wishes.

Dr. Dan