Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Hi, I have 6 rare tiny bantam hatching eggs in an incubator,

Hi, I have 6 rare tiny bantam hatching eggs in an incubator, but am worried that something is wrong. I was expecting them to start hatching on the 19th of February, they were moving around and looking like they were trying to hatch last week...as of yet they still havent hatched.
Do I just leave them to hatch in their own time? Please help.
Kirsty
Category: Bird
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Kirsty,

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.

Are you certain on the hatch date? This is day 5 past, correct?

Can you hear them?

Any signs of pipping at all?

Sometimes with candling you might be able to see when they breach the air sac.

Heartbeats can be detected with an infant stethoscope or even better with ultrasound. I know that may not be practical. You may try to simplly hold them next to your ear.

Get back with me. I do not usually interfere with a hatch unless the chick has the beak out and is in very obvious trouble, and even then it can be a very delicate thing.
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds