Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my budgie has problems with her feathers. on her last moult

my budgie has problems with her feathers. on her last moult her wing feathers were bent up. i thought she might have fallen in her cage. during this moult she lost her broken wing feathers and replaced them by good ones. but now she has lost her long tail feathers and her rear feathers are bent up again. she lives on her own in a large cage is eating and drinking ok and talking. she has cuttlefish and a tonic block which i have notice she is using alot as this is pink i notice on her cage floor.i think she is about 4 years old. can you please tell me if she is sick and if she need to be seen by a vet.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Are you able to post a picture of her feathers for us?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i hope you have received my photos of joey from my phone.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
I did get the pictures thank you I have one more question is it ONLY the tail feathers that are bent at right angles like this or is it wing feathers or body feathers too?

What is her typical diet consist of besides the cuttlebone and tonic block?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is only her tail feathers this time she has lost her two long ones but it was her wing feathers last moult with one of her long tail feathers. Her wings look better this time. Since having Joey she has been eating Trill bird food also millet at times. I have notice she is really going for the tonic block more than usual. I do give budgie grit on bottom of cage and in container as well.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. This is one of two problems the first is that she is being really hard on her tail feathers either through falling, playing, or getting them caught in the bars. This looks like the feathers are being broken along the shaft. If this is not obvious trauma then it's nutritional. Birds are not designed to eat only seed which is what I see the Trill bird food is and millet is just a specific type of seed. Transitioning them to a pelleted diet will balance out the missing nutrients and if we do this soon enough it will bring her level of essential vitamins and nutrients to make stronger tail feathers that are far more resistant to those breaks you are seeing.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried other foods fruit etc but she will not eat anything but the seed I will try her on a pelleted diet. Thank you so much I thought she had viral plumage disease which I had looked it up so thanks again