DR.J
DR.J, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

I am sometimes finding a meat like substance when I clean my

I am sometimes finding a meat like substance when I clean my hen house out in the mornings. What is this?
Category: Bird
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

I have come across what you have mentioned once before

DR.J :

t is what is referred to at times as 'Throwing an overy' which means that your chicken for any of the following reasons has had her reproductive system or part of it detach and expelled from her body.

DR.J :

As I said there are several reasons for something like that to occur :

DR.J :

1. Idiopathic - unexplained

DR.J :

2. Infectious disease (which might be effecting your other chickens as well - will account for the drop in egg production) .

DR.J :

3. Cancer - some neoplastic diseases are very common in chickens ovaries. this causes for a drop in egg production and formation of diseased looking eggs (can result in egg bound as well ) . The cancer will eat away at the overy which will lead it eventually to detach

DR.J :

4. Some viral diseases - more rare

DR.J :

Sadly , this specific girl will no longer lay any eggs , there is as well a chance that other systems in her body are effected and carries a poor prognosis i'm afraid (especially if we are considering it being a tumor)

DR.J :

What you need to do is deliver this meaty piece to you vet so he or she can send it off to a lab to be analyzed and then know what it is . meanwhile start the group on antibiotics .

DR.J :

I hope this helps .

DR.J :

If you have any further questions on the matter , let me know and I shall be happy to help.

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

Please before you leave our chat , do not forget to rate it