Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My budgie who is about 8 months old makes squeeking noises(

My budgie who is about 8 months old makes squeeking noises( exactly like a squeeky toy) intermittently throughout the day. When ge does this he moves his neck up + down + gapes at times with his beak. He seems to be doing this on + off now for at least 2 weeks now. He ejected some mucus out today as he was doing this + a bit of seed came up to + after that he was fine again. In between these episodes he flys about no problem, eats and his poops look fine. I think this is not normal as the other two budgies I have don't do this. Should I be concerned? Diana, Glasgow.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Yes I do think you need to be a little worried. This sounds like you have a respiratory infection developing in your bird which is common but problematic. It is very important that as soon as you can have Sebastian see an avian vet. If we wait too long for this we risk the problem becoming a permanent infection through scarring or a fungal infection. The mucus being created is likely being spit up with his seeds and this makes it more likely a respiratory infection but located in the sinuses. Because the infection is in the sinuses rather than the airsacs, that is the reason the problem seems intermittent. You can try a couple of things in the meantime. 1) Make sure her living temperature is 80F. 2) Put her in a bathroom 2x daily with a hot shower running so he can breath in the steam but make sure his feathers do not get soaked. #3 You can help boost his immune system with the product Healx Booster which can be found online in the Uk.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks ever so much for your advice. It sounds spot on. I have an avian vet not too far away from me so i will book an appointment tomorrow and tell them what you have said. I gave Sebastian some steam therapy there and seemed to actually enjoy it. One of his buddys joined in to. He gaped a bit afterwards but no sqeaking with it so hopefully it helped unblock his sinuses a little, the poor soul. I have bought him rusk to mix with his egg food and vitamin/mineral drops for his water. I will order up the Healx booster asap. Fingers crossed my wee friend can be saved. I really appreciate your help and advice. Diana.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I took Sebastian to an avain vet and they checked him over and agreed it was upper respiratory although he wasn't as bad as over the weekend. I think the steam therapy worked a treat. He issued me antibiotics to put in his water every day for a week and he is in a seperate cage for a while.I asked if my other two birds should be given the antibiotic treatment just in case and he said no if they seem fine. My question to you is do you agree with this advice?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
I do agree with his advice to only treat Sebastian as he's the only one showing symptoms. Treating the other birds may develop antibiotic resistance if used incorrectly.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Dan, Sebastian much better, he is eating like a horse and i noticed today that his poops are bigger in size. i have not heard him make squeaky noise since Wednesday. I will keep an eye on my other two just in case they show any symtoms in coming weeks and whisk them off to avian vet if they do. Thanks ever so much for your diagnosis and advice, i am ever so grateful. Diana.