Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

my 9 month old timneh parrot has not eaten or drank

Customer Question

my 9 month old timneh parrot has not eaten or drank for 24hrs I think he has hurt his tongue I cant get a vet on a weekend what can I do
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you. I am sorry no other expert has taken your question. We all come online at different times, I have just logged in and saw that you have not been answered. I hope I can still be of assistance.

Any idea of what happened? Did he fall?

He is in the danger zone right now, and offering water is a very good idea. If he fell or otherwise hurt his mouth, he could have dislocated or fractured any number of facial bones and joints, cracked the beak, or injured the tongue. About all you can do at home is try and keep him hydrated and get some calories into him, and keep further injury from happening.

If he is taking the syringe willingly, you can alternate water with sugar water. If he is willing and it is not a struggle, try baby bird formula (Exact is available at most pet shops) mixed according to directions. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly. You can offer warm oatmeal, cream of wheat, cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food.

At the vet they can start pain control, tube feed him, and give SC fluids.

Can you tell me more about the bird?​
How long has this been going on?
How long have you had him?
Where is he from?
Any accidents or trauma?
Interactions with other birds/pets/children/guests?
What is the usual diet? has it changed recently?
Has the bird gotten into anything? Chewed electrical wires?