Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

How can I tell what sex my baby African grey parrot is

Category: Bird
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you please tell me if you can answer my Question. Or do you not know for sure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now the best option to reliably sex Tilley at this age would be DNA testing. Your local vet can assist you on collecting a small blood sample for this test. Otherwise, it can be tricky at this age and usually we use visual clues once they are over a two years. Just for your interest, when we are visually trying to determine sex, we can see males show darker feather coloring then females. As well, males tend to be more uniform in color as opposed to a more ombre appearance with the lasses. Females also tend to have slightly longer wings. And I would note that if you use these clues when Tilley is of age, you can look at other birds (in photos or if you know any other sexed birds of her breed) to use as a comparison for your determination.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )