Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My amazon parrot seems to have a lump that's on the side of

Customer Question

Hello. My amazon parrot seems to have a lump that's on the side of his head.. it's come through the feathers and is now growing feathers on top of it. Should I be concerned?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the good photos. To answer you directly, yes, there's reason for concern. Skin tumors - both benign and malignant - are common in pet birds. This has a benign appearance but the full extent of it is obscured by his feathers. Common skin tumors include fibromas/fibrosarcomas, squamous cell carcinomas, soft tissue sarcomas, and lymphosarcoma. This should be attended to by an avian vet whom you can find here: theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.