Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My series 1 (2005 reg) will shudder in 1st gear and reverse

Customer Question

My series 1 (2005 reg) will shudder in 1st gear and reverse after driving for about an hour or so. I don't know why and it never does it when the engine is cold.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you on this..

Im afraid I know the symptoms you describe, and the cause of this is a faulty / worn clutch system.... The engine / gearbox mounts should be checked first - as sometimes this can be a factor - and too anyway - with severe judder from the clutch, the mountings can be damaged.

Basically the first signs of that are, juddering in 1st and Reverse when warmed up - and eventually it will do it all the time ( until its replaced )

Its not wear and tear in the "clutch slipping" sense - its more mechanical failure / failing of the clutch - the clutch damper springs in the plates.

It can go like this for a very long time - but it is a sign that you are going to be needing a new clutch system Im afraid.

I cant give you exact prices - the best tip would be to ring round locally and get several prices for the job - you can save a lot of money that way...

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me any time if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc.. which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Best Rgds, MIKE.