Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi just purchased a 2001 series 3 2.ltr diesel b.m.w but im

Customer Question

hi just purchased a 2001 series 3 2.ltr diesel b.m.w but im getting a metalic taste in my mouth and lips after 5 mins of driving it. i recently had the exhaust checked at my local garage and they couldn,t find a problem sometimes it makes me think its coming through the vents even without the heater on could you help ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this..

Fuel / oil - fumes / smells are quite different - but you mention its what its doing to your taste / lips etc -

Do you actually smell anything at all ?

When you say the heating system has been "pressure tested " - what do you mean exactly ? Who has done that ?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

may be wrong on the pressure test on the heater matrix or system but they couldn:t find a problem. but i would say its like an oily smell and also have problem starting when cold up to the point the battery go,s flat. even though the glow plugs have been replaced and fuel filter replaced

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Bruce..
First my apologies for the dealy in getting back to you -

The starting issue you mention now Bruce - so, just in case this connected, what exactly is happening there.... ? and when you crank the engine... is it slow on cranking or would you say its normal?

Too - what mileage does the car have?

Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the cranking is normal then the battery runs low but the oily smell i think comes through the air vents when the engine is running to full temperature more say 5~10 miles into the journey and thats when i get this burnt metal taste in my mouth . could this be an oil thats been spilt down the side of the engine in the past ? and do you think the battery may not be powerful enough anymore?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Bruce -

Thank you for your reply and further info...

Indeed the reasons for my asking was to try and determine what other things may be happening with the car and add up with the symptoms... WIth you saying the battery runs low soon I am wondering if the metallic / horrid taste / smell you get is from a faulty battery that is actually what's called, gassing. This can be caused by a faulty battery - dead or faulty cell bubbling that then makes its way into the cabin / inside the car and being its a gas, you dont actually see it - but you will taste it...and it will get on to your clothes etc. The other cause of this is overcharging of the battery due to a charge system fault... this all needs to be fully investigated as this seems from all thats been said, to be be the most likely cause of your troubles here Bruce. If the battery is suspect at all in this way , it should be replaced....and the charge system tested fully too.

Yes you could have smells coming from any such oil spillage - dried on oil when it gets hot will do that - so anything like that should be cleaned thoroughly - a steam clean of the engine would be a good idea to fully eradicate any such issues there.... Also too.. the breather system on the engine should be thoroughly checked for any restrictions -and / or splits in the breather hoses/ seals etc - again - any of which will cause what you have.

So those are the main causes of what you describe Bruce - it can be one or the other or indeed a combination - so that needs investigating in those areas as above to get this cured for you.

The only other area would be if the catalytic converter is giving off bad smells / odour etc through a leaking seal - often you get damaged or plain faulty welded seals on the cat converter - that I would have thought would have been checked already to be honest - but I mention it just in case for you..

So working through as above on this one should see this cured for you Bruce - let me know how you get on.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.