Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

ive just bought a bmw 320si , and sold my old 318 se, only

ive just bought a bmw 320si , and sold my old 318 se, only thing is the steering on the si doesnt feel as good as my 14 year ols beamer, is there any reported problems with the si ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

can you tell me what year / model the new 320 si is please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its the special ed 2006 only 500 in GB

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

any luck ?

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

there were changes to the steering geometry and tyre specification between the two cars so the steering will feel different

do you know what spec and make of tyre is fitted?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i think there a budget make the size is 225/40r18 wo88, maybe i shoud buy a new set for the front as there getting close to the limit, then maybe tracking ?

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

OK the make and type of tyre will have a strong effect on how the steering feels as the tread block pattern and sidewall construciton is often poor compared to a premier make

I'd switch over to some Continentals ( as this is what is BMW specified) and yes have the tracking checked

I'd also suggest to take the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.

A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to each other.