Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I own a 3 year old X5 XDrive 30D SE 5SA car and I would like

Customer Question

I own a 3 year old X5 XDrive 30D SE 5SA car and I would like to know whether it would be possible to fit full size replacement wheels instead of the run-flats I have at the moment as I would like to fit General Grabber A/T tyres eventually.
I did have Pirelli Scorpian tyres on my older car which were excellent, perhaps these would be preferable to the Grabbers if I can change the present wheels.
I would appreciate your comments please.
G Dawson
Category: BMW
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

you can fit a regular tyre to the existing BMW wheel and its often preferable to do so as the ride properties of the run-flats are harsher than a regualr tyre

if you want to keep the wheels on these tyres then you'll need a another set and these crop up on on EBay quite regularly

as to what tyre it sounds like you're after some off-road capabilty so the AT tyres are a good choice with the pirellis being a better road tyre

it dependings on how much off-road work you're planning as to which tyre you decide on