Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Im in the Armed Forces and have recently been deployed on

Customer Question

I'm in the Armed Forces and have recently been deployed on Ops for 6 months. Whilst away my wife turned over my 2002 Z3 2.2 every 2 weeks, she started first time, every time. Since I returned my alarm started going off and now i have absolutely no power. I mean nothing, no central locking, nothing when I turn the ignition on etc, dead. I initially thought it would be the battery so I fully charged it (only 8 months old) and still nothing.

Please HELP!

Cheers

Andy
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hello Andy,

My name is Roger and I will do my best to help you with this difficult problem.

Can you send me the last seven digits of the VIN number for your Z3 as I would like to look over the wiring diagrams. Also are you familiar using a volt meter or a test light?

Best Regards,

Roger

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply.

The last seven digits of my VIN are: LK17274.

I have no experience using a volt meter or a test light.

Cheers

Andy

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the VIN as it helped me determine you have the M54 engine.

When you turn the key on do you get any instrument cluster lights at all? Also can you please check the battery connections again. Follow the grounnd cable on the battery to where it goes to the body and make sure both are tight and secure and the positive cable is secure as well.

Then I would try another vehicle and using jumper cables on the jump terminals under the hood see if the vehicle will power up with jump cables.

Let me know what you find. I am hoping this may be just a bad ground for the battery.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,

Roger

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply.
Can you please clarify what you mean by the ground cable. There is a plastic tube at the base of the battery recess that goes to the side under the inner wing panel. Is this what you mean? I can't identify where it should be attached but do know that it wasn't connected when I removed the battery.
I have taken a photo of this, is there anyway I can send it to you?
Cheers

Andy
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hello Andy,

The plastic tube is a vent to allow the gases from the battery to vent out. The vent is in the body of the vehicle near the battery.

The ground is the negative cable on the battery. Check the connections at the battery and where the negative cable attaches to the body of the vehicle.