Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

steering wobble occasionally sometimes over 40mph

Customer Question

Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

My name is Roger and I will do my best to help you with this problem.

Can you provide some more details on the wobble you are feeling?

Do you have stock rims installed? Does the wobble occur while braking only? Do you tend to feel the wobble as you accellorate?

Have you tried anything so far?

Thank you and I look forward to trying to help you solve this problem.

Best Regards,

Roger

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

bought 2 new tyres in december for front and drove to ireland did 1200 miles no problems till april 20th doing 40 to 50 mph on bypass and steering wheel started to shudder so i took it to get wheel balanced on front ok for day then started again had wheels balanced again front only put my foot down about 60 mph and steering started to vibrate again ive had a ring sound on the front wheel not sure which side i thought possible bearing but its no,t 2 new cv joints are being put on tomorrow but the garage does not think its the reason for steering they think its possible it needs 4 new tyres purchased together or back tyre balanced also

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
X5 BMW 2003 30i
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the great information.

I have seen front axles cause this type of the vibration. They need to also check the inner axle joint to make sure the socket is not dry. The outers are the CV's and the boots often tear and spin out the grease. The inners tend to just spin the grease out from the clamps but this can cause wear in the inner axle joint. I often just shake the axle side to side and if you can hear clunking they need to re-grease the inner joint as well.

What I would do in my shop would be to swap rims and tires from another known good vehicle and drive it. This would rule out rims and tires or would prove the problem to be tires. Then I would start to suspect the axles. Often it is better to replace the axle as a complete unit for a vibration concern but re-lubrication can sometimes correct this as well.

Let me know if I can help further. I hope I have been helpful. If you could please leave a positive rating it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Roger