Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2006 BMW 730d. It seems to jump into neutral when

Customer Question

I have a 2006 BMW 730d. It seems to jump into neutral when I stop and also when I try and put in reverse. If I hold the gear level into drive and move off its OK, but in reverse I have to hold it in 'R'. Any advice please ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

My name is Roger and I will do my best to help you with this problem. Have you had any gear warning symbols come on while driving or any current warnings active in your instrument cluster? I have run into a problem like this before but unfortunately this failure can be caused by multiple components. I will be able to outline what I feel the most likely failure is but for testing purposes components may have to be replaced to fully trace down this problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No warning lights of any sort on the dashboard. Also when sevicing was advised no electronic errors diagnosed with gear shift mechanism
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

That is the same scenerio I had on the other vehicle. Can you send me the last seven digits of the VIN number as I would like to look up the part I suspect is the main failure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DN36645
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the VIN. As soon as I get in to work this morning I will look up the suspected component and post back to you.

Best Regards,

Roger

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

I have a link to the parts diagram for the suspected component. On the last one I had like this with no fault codes and the transmission going into nuetral the switch on the steering column fixed the problem for me.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HM22&mospid=48470&btnr=61_1546&hg=61&fg=35

I am hopefull that you may have the same problem I ran into. Usually if there is a malfunction in the transmission control unit there should be fault codes. What I suspect is occuring is that the switch is sending an incorrect signal to enter nuetral.

The best place to start is to have a switch component #4 in the diagram installed to see if this is the fix you need. No programming or coding is needed with this installation and it is plug and play.

I hope this information proves to be helpful. Please provide a positive rating for my help. An excellent rating is much appreciated.

I wish you the best with your repair.

Best Regards,

Roger