Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

I have a 2006 BMW 520d SE. The iDrive is missing the connectivity

I have a 2006 BMW 520d SE. The iDrive is missing the connectivity option for the phone on the vehicle menu. I have the steering wheel phone buttons, but the phone book is only showing the BMW contact numbers. How can you restore the iDrive to its default setting and return all the functions?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with this problem.

I have run into this on two BMW's so far where the Bluetooth option no longer is displayed as an option in the I Drive. Is this what has occurred to your vehicle and are you sure the vehicle is equipped with Bluetooth?

Bluetooth runs by using the vehicles telephone control unit. One easy way to check is to see if your vehicle has BMW assist or an SOS button up by the light panel in the front headliner. If you have the SOS button then your vehicle would have a telephone control unit.

Please let me know and I will then post an answer for you on how to best handle this situation. Unfortunately the repair will not be one you can carry out yourself but I will explain how I fixed this on two other 5 series in my shop.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it does have the control unit

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for checking.

The first thing to note is that BMW has no documentation of this fix in any service bulletin. Because I have seen this on two other vehicles I have a procedure that the dealer will need to follow.

First is they need to perform a retrofit programming for Bluetooth on your vehicle like it was newly installed using the BMW programming station. What has occurred is that your BMW no longer identifies that is has Bluetooth installed and the option is no longer being displayed. I was able to fix one vehicle just by re installing the Bluetooth retrofit programming. Hopefully this will be the fix for you as it is the least costly being only around 1.5 hours of programming time no parts charges.

If this does not work then the failure is internal in the telephone control unit and in one other case I had to replace the telephone control unit and then also perform the retrofit again for the Bluetooth option to come back.

I am not sure which of these two steps will correct your situation but I believe the programming retrofit may be all that is needed.

Make sure to explain this to the dealer carefully so they understand the process.

They need to perform the Bluetooth retrofit programming like it was installed but not programmed.

I hope I have been helpful Scott. Please provide a positive rating for my help today. An excellent rating is much appreciated. You can also post back before rating if you need me to clarify anything for you.

Best Regards,

Roger