Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2007 Z4m - roof squeaks on uneven road surfaces are

Customer Question

2007 Z4m - roof squeaks on uneven road surfaces are annnoying - seem to be coming from behind my head. How do I get access and where are the areas where I need to spray some silicone oil.
Gerry Irvine, Dublin. Ireland.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hello Gerry,

Can you do this simple test for me:

When you hear the noise roll all of the windows down about 2 inches and see if the noise goes away. Let me know the results. I suspect the noise should no longer be present with the windows down.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mr. Bmw Master.

I am a technically minded professional who has rebuilt a few vintage cars in my time. Your suggestion regarding the lowering of the windows is completely incorrect. The squeak is coming from the roof mechanism. I need an expert who has worked on these particular roofs and knows their foibles. I am not prepared to enter a game of ping pong on a trial and error basis. Let me know by return whether you have worked on and have an intricate knowledge of this roof. Otherwise, we are just wasting each others time.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

I will be happy to opt out and let another expert assist you.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for that.