Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

i have bmw v reg 318 i, it starts first time in the morning,

i have bmw v reg 318 i, it starts first time in the morning, but once i have driven for a while or get it up to temputure and stop the engine and leave for a few minutes it struggles to start but does eventualy starts, any sugestions
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with this difficult problem. Can you please post the last seven digits of the VIN number and do you have any warning lights on like a check engine light?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

vin no nb06492, and there is no warning lights up at all.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hello Sean,

Sorry for the delay. The Just Answer website has been a little slow today to load up for me to respond back.

There is a few things that come to mind with this type of problem.

First is that this could be related to a failing temperature sensor. Often this is the best place to start as the cost is low.

I have a link to the part listing for you.

Component # XXXXX in the parts diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AN92&mospid=47631&btnr=11_2054&hg=11&fg=15

My other recommendation would be to have the fuel pressure monitored during the problem. It sounds like it is reproducable so a fuel pressure gage can be used to monitor fuel pressure monitored during the long crank to see if this is related to the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or fuel pressure regulator.

The other thing I would check if I had your vehicle in my shop would be to look at the engine control unit to make sure the connectors are all clean and no signs of water intrusion to the engine computer has occured.

It would also be worth having the fault codes scanned even though you do not have a check engine light on. Some codes can set but not cause the check engine light to come on. A failing sensor such as a camshaft or crankshaft sensor can also cause a long crank situation.

I hope this will help lead to a fix for you. With symptoms like this and no fault codes a lot of testing can be needed to help trace down the exact cause of the problem.

Please let me know if I can try to help further. Please leave me a positive rating for my help. An excellent rating is much appreciated.

I wish you the very best with your repairs.

Kind Regards,

Roger