Roger
Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

X5 DRIVERS SEAT ADJUSTMENTS FAULTY

X5 DRIVERS SEAT ADJUSTMENTS FAULTY
Category: BMW
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your,reply and yes i"ve had ecu hook up please tell me what is a control module ? and where can i buy one i.e second hand?and roughly what would cost. to buy and fit? kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hello Rod,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to try and help you with this.

I might be able to look up the part number for you so you can try to locate one and give you an estimate on the cost. I am not sure where to find a second hand one but a call to local junk yards can sometimes yield a second hand part.

It sounds like you are looking for the control module (computer) for the seat adjustment. Can you post to me the last seven digits of your VIN number and I will try to find a parts picture and price for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, my vin no. Is Lm50286

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the VIN number

The component is component #4 in the parts diagram. On your vehicle the seat switch is also the control module for the seat and steering column functions. A common failure when the switch goes is that you will lose activation up down in and out of the steering column.

The trims on the seat can be a bit difficult to remove to replace the switch / control module assembly. The good news is that this is not a labor intensive repair and it should only cost about .5 to 1 hour of labor to replace. This looks to be a dealer only item due to it being an electronic component.

You can call a junk yard and see if they have an X5 with electric seats and see if they have a switch for you. It should be plug and play so once plugged in the seat should start to work if the original diagnosis of the switch was correct. It may also be worth having this done by the dealer as the labor is low and the parts are not overly expensive. On the website link the part is around 140.00. Due to this being a specialy electronic part the dealer may be the only place this part can be obtained. Usually the cost at the dealer is a bit more but it should be comparable.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a positive rating for my help today. I wish you the very best with your vehicle.

Best Regards,

Roger

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FA52&mospid=47740&btnr=52_2531&hg=52&fg=10

Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience: 10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.