Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Sir, Ive range rover P38 with BMW 6 cylinder diesel engine.

Customer Question

Sir, I've range rover P38 with BMW 6 cylinder diesel engine. When I switch ignition key to start engine, the stater motor keeps on running after engine started. What can be the problem?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

hello,

this would commonly be caused by a bad starter relay / solenoid, or faulty ignition switch.

.

Please do not forget to select a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer. thank you. best wishes with your repairs.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sir,

I've tested the starter solenoid is good and the ignition switch is ok.

Suspect the starter relay.. Can you show me where can I locate the starter relay so that I can check / test it. Pls give some diagram or picture is appreciated.

Tq .. anthony

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome Anthony to justanswer..

My name is MIKE... The person that replied to you before has opted out of this question - so I will help you with this..

Again - the starter relay is the usual cause of this.... it goes faulty and makes contact internally and thus operates the starter motor as you have -

So the relay needs checking - but check too very carefully, the pins where it connects - and for any wire damage to it - to that fuse/ relay box - on that circuit..and also for any water ingress - that can also cause this...

I will give you the layout - showing the location of the stater relay.... Please note that on some variants / countries , the relay is actually in a different slot in the relay box - but check that first as per the image below. It is easy to ID the starter relay anyway - simply pull out one relay at a time, while someone then operates the key / starter - when the starter does not operate you know you have identified the relay for sure. But do also check inside the fuse/ relay box as mentioned above for signs of water ingress - that is a very common cause of this complaint - as well as wire / loom damage on that circuit..

Here is the image for you as promised :

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I.ve located the starter relay and found no significant damaged or contaminant. I did also interchange it with similar relay but the problem still persist.

Note: Is it possible to use a temporary push-button start switch just to confirm that the ignition key switch is suspect ??.

Please, I still need yr help / expertise to solve this problem.

Cheers.... anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry my friend, I just cannot rate you answer because the problem is still not solved. I still need your help on this matter.

Regards.

anthony