Mike
Mike, BMW Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I am purchasing a used 118d Sport, 2400mls and registered in

Customer Question

I am purchasing a used 118d Sport, 2400mls and registered in Oct 2012, from a BMW dealer. Maybe I am getting too suspicious but when I first looked at the vehicle, before sale prep, all the tyre dust caps were off and I observed slight damage to the wheels which of course they will put right before I collect the vehicle on Thursday. I also ran my hand over the tyres to check tread depth. I just have this feeling that the depth should be greater than it is. That said, this is my first experience with run flat tyres. The simple question is this: do new (or nearly new in this case) run flat tyres have less tread depth that conventional tyres? The dealer is very well known locally and has been excellent so far and I don't wish to embarrass them or myself.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this..

I had to switch us out of the Live Chat system as it wasn't working Im sorry...

In answer to your question - run flat tyres are the same as any other when it comes to tread depth - and tread depth law.

The minimum tread depth - below which the they come illegal is 1.6 mm . Tread depth must be above the legal minimum of 1.6mm throughout a continuous strip in the centre three quarters of the tread and around the entire tyre circumference.

Well known large tyre companies here in the UK have a campaign trying to educate motorists to renew their tyres , for safety sake, when they reach 3mm - for more info on that , click HERE.

A new tyre would have 6-8 mm tread depth depending on exact tyre manufacturer / type - again - thats the same as any other tyre. Basically the laws are the same for the run flat tyres as others.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.