Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

problem with X5, aircon only works at random. When it does

Customer Question

problem with X5, aircon only works at random. When it does it keeps going after engine is switched off. Any clues?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

you are referring to the fan, correct? this is what only works sometimes, and stays on after the engine is shut off and key removed?

Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

hello?

are you there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes that is what happens sometimes

Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

this is a very common problem

your final stage resistor (which is what controls fan speed) has failed.

again, this is VERY common and this is definitely your problem.

you need to have your final stage resistor replaced. you should do this asap as it will eventually drain your battery.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.