Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi. I have a 58 plate 1 series. I have an problem with the

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 58 plate 1 series. I have an problem with the heaters. at its lowest setting of 16 degrees it blows coldish air and does so right through the increase range when at 28 degrees it blows like a furnace.
Its a major problem during the winter.
Can you give any ideas on possible fault and cost of repair please.
Many thanks, Ian.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

can you please clarify the issue?

you say it blows cold at 16 and hot at 28 - this sounds correct? I may be missing something based on your description. Please confirm.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry it may be me. If the heater is at 16 degrees it blows cold. As you turn it up it stays at the same temp until you get to the max setting of 28 degrees then blows out very hot air. There is no steady increase of air temp as you increase the setting on the dial. It's the for both driver and front passenger dials.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
so it blows cold at 27 degrees?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pretty much yes. Cold may be a bit to far but it is kind of Luke warm air. There no gradual rise in temp as you increase the temp settings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer,

this is not a common issue and could have many potential causes unfortunately

It could be due to a faulty heater valve, faulty control panel, switch, or sensor.

For this type of issue, to avoid guesswork, the car will need to be scanned and the proper test plans run using a BMW factory diagnostic computer to read all of the inputs and outputs from the system live, and verify where the issue lies.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs