Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have BMW 316ti Compact on a 51 plate which has lost power,

Customer Question

I have BMW 316ti Compact on a 51 plate which has lost power, drivable but just cruises enough to get home. On acceleration there is a brief rattle from the engine which lasts just a second. Its not a 'heavy' sound but more along the lines of something 'loose'. No warning lights come up. Any help gratefully received as I can see a trip to the garage costing more than the vehicle is worth! Bruce
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

hello

what kind of help are you looking for?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you suggest a possible cause for the lack of power. Car is firing on all cylinders, no warning lights, plugs renewed, air filter renewed. From running normally the change to lack of power was 'overnight'. I have read forums that name the timing chain tensioner as the culprit (a number of people have had a similar experience) or the oxygen sensors. I am curious about the very brief 'rattle' on acceleration - or attempted acceleration because little happens.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
are you positive the rattle is coming from the engine?