Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi. My 2004 BMW 318i petrol has a load, clanky-ticking sound-it

Hi. My 2004 BMW 318i petrol has a load, clanky-ticking sound-it now sounds more like a diesel! It has also started to judder and cut out when just ticking over (sometimes it won't rev). There's also an occasional chemical-burning smell. The oil is jet black (last changed in Jan). Judging from the sound (and a two min look at the car) a mechanic has advised that the cams are knackered and that it would be cheaper to replace the engine. He also remarked that the oil is probably a bit blocked up and not getting up to the cams. Might an oil flush and filter change help to save me the expense of a new engine?? Thanks
Can you please clarify what question I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need to know whether an oil flush and change may help to resolve this...or whether its a waste of money? I don't want to go to the expense of changing the engine to find out the cams were fine and it just needed an oil change/flush.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

If the damage is already done and the engine is making noise, losing power, cutting out, etc, then an oil change isn't going to reverse that. It isn't a huge investment to try this if you want, but I'm afraid it will likely be throwing good money after bad

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It drives really well, no loss of power while driving, it only cuts out every now and again when left to tick over. Is there any way to be certain that damage has been done to the cams? (I'm finding it hard to spend over 1k on a replacement engine, based on someone looking at the colour if the oil and listening to it run).

I am not hands on at the car and cannot make an assessment of my own. If the oil is in bad condition and the car is making a lot of noise and cutting out, that isn't a good sign. I would agree that you should seek a second opinion and have further testing carried out prior to engine replacement. An oil change will not un do damage that has already occurred.